Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Just Cannot Stay Away From the Internet




I am one of those people who go by the saying: if it’s not broken, don’t mess with it—for the most part anyway. I pride myself in being able to control temptations (except food); all I have to do is modify my mindset. When I go out shopping and I find a real cute dress, although not one that I absolutely must have, I tell myself I would come back for it when it goes on sale. I end up not going back for it because I don’t want to pay bus fare. I save myself at least $40.

Technology, as we know it today, is taking over our lives. We feel naked when we realize we left the house without our cell phones. Our nights revolve around the contents of TV Guide. Internet security is a rising concern.

Within the scope of people I know and interact with, I’ve noticed a trend in modern technology usage. People who live in the city tend to rely more on their computers, cell phones, and internet. On the other hand, people from the country do fine without being connected.

I gave up television when I went to college. I never got into the habit of pursuing certain shows anyway. There were a lot of other things going on. Studying was one of them, of course. Not having a TV is no big deal for me.

I can’t remember the days when not everyone had a cell phone. What did people do if they got stood up for a shopping date? I can go a few hours without my cell phone. I say hours because there are only a few certain circumstances where you don’t have your phone. For instance, your battery died because you underestimated your battery indicator. Before “smart phones,” I mainly use them for the time. It’s too much of a hassle to wear a watch; for one, it’s difficult for me to read analog.

The computer is a hard one to judge. I’m not a gamer, so I’m not so much as addicted to my computer as they are. I do need my computer for iTunes and Microsoft Word and Excel, but alternatives can easily be utilized. The computer is just more convenient.

As for the internet…*look away*. I admit defeat. All of you admit it too. You can’t survive more than two days without internet. The time you went camping or Las Vegas does not count. As I said earlier, I take pride in being able to resist almost all temptations. I’ve been living without internet for two weeks and counting. I thought I would be used to it by now; but I’m not. I scavenge any small amount of signal I can get. I’m almost desperate enough to drive five miles to the rest area to get wireless internet.

As city dwellers, we are underprivileged. We know everything that is happening around the world, but we don’t know what’s going on in our homes, literally. Although it’s killing me not to be connected to the global community, I take this opportunity to cultivate domestic skills, hone my talents, and self-teach myself things I would’ve never been able to learn with all the distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment