Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guilty Disregard



Does it make me a horrible person if I say I don’t care about the latest San Bruno tragedy? Or the worldwide earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, or even 9/11 from nine years ago. I don’t care does not mean it never happened. I am just not compelled to provide aid or call to action, especially through my Facebook status. After all, everyone knows the status update is going to be replaced by thoughts of food within the hour. That goes for everyone else too.

The first thought that came to my mind when I saw pictures on my Facebook news feed and on my other tab coincidentally opened to Huffington Post was Wow, we’re on national news. You have to admit, San Francisco isn’t the place for interesting news stories. We don’t have hurricanes because we are protected by the bay. We don’t have any important governmental landmarks that terrorists would want to destroy. So until the long, overdue earthquake occurs, we got nothing.

I am not exactly asking for something catastrophic to happen. I just wish we were more news-worthy.

The second thought that came to mind was Thirty-seven homes destroyed and damaged? Like flattened destroyed? Finally! Something interesting is happening around here. Yes, flattened destroyed. And I really shouldn’t be ecstatic over what just occurred. I can’t imagine a plot of land that was once occupied is now flattened to the ground. It is as exciting as seeing snow for the first time. New Yorkers and surrounding states got to see Ground Zero. Now we have our little Ground Zero.

I know I’m not being sensitive to this issue. Judge me all you want, at least I am outwardly admitting it instead of faking sympathy through a Facebook update.

Although my compassion is unmoved, my heart goes out to all those families who lost their homes. You would be an inspiration to me to see you rebuild your lives. I know I wouldn’t have the courage and strength to do that.


San Bruno Explosion: Photos Of The Fire's Aftermath Paint A Bigger Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment